Saturday, September 26, 2015

Is It Worth Restoring?

That old desk in the corner that is missing veneer pieces and the hinges have almost fallen off? Or your grandmother’s chairs that are so wobbly they make you cringe whenever anyone sits on them? How about those pieces that were retired to the attic long ago because of missing or broken parts? 

These relics are more than likely worth restoring. Some may be period pieces, which are certainly worth restoring. Others, although they are reproductions, may be better constructed, last longer and have more appealing designs than most modern furniture you could buy today. Still others may be worth repairing simply because of their sentimental value. I know that I spent a decent amount of time turning new legs for the cradle that I used as a baby when my first child was about to be born… Is the cradle worth it? Not if I were to sell it, but it was certainly worth the time and effort to me! 

​My Dad and I can often figure out the age of your furniture and can determine the best approach to restoring each piece. With a period piece, the approach is minimalistic. We are always concerned with maintaining the value and integrity of the piece. We use techniques and materials appropriate to the time period in which it was built. With real period pieces, we recommend doing as little as possible, yet restoring it to its original function and beauty. 

​With 20th century pieces, their worth is in their function or their sentimental value. We therefore have more flexibility in the type of restoration. We can even modify color and shape to your satisfaction. Dad and I have done all sorts of things to pieces, from simply changing bed widths and heights to changing armoires into entertainment centers!


We truly enjoy working on all sorts of different pieces, though admittedly the real antiques give us a special thrill and, occasionally, inspiration. I can remember working on an 18th century secretary desk that needed some repairs and a cleaning. I was only 15 or 16 at the time, so when I reached in behind a drawer and put my finger in a small hole, I was surprised and excited to see a secret drawer popping out at me! As I then went over the rest of that piece with a fine tooth comb, I found more than a dozen more secret compartments just large enough to hold a few letters or a couple of pieces of jewelry. Ever since then, I have dreamed of putting  a secret compartment in a piece that I had built. This year, my dream came true. To the master woodworker who built that piece, I say thank you, and I tip my hat to his skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment